If you own a business, you know you need a website to gain online exposure. But what is the reason so many business owners hold off on setting one up?
Three of the most commons misconceptions about making a website is that it’s too difficult, expensive, and time consuming. However, this guide will prove otherwise.
Creating a website can be easy, affordable, and fast if you’re a little resourceful. In fact, you can have a website designed for about $50 – $100.
The easiest and cheapest way to quickly make a professional website is to choose your website name, get hosting and outsource the design overseas. This tutorial will show you exactly how to do that, step-by-step.
Cheap and easy web design is great but with that being said we don’t want to compromise quality either. So this website development method has to meet some criteria for this to work.
CRITERIA FOR CHEAP & EASY PROFESSIONAL WEBSITE LAUNCH
- 1. Designed by a web professional
- 2. Low cost web design prices
- 3. Free domain registration
- 4. Fast web hosting with great support
- 5. Intuitive platform for DIY updates
- 6. Total budget to launch: $100 – $150
All these factors must be met in order to find the best value for your money while working within a tight budget. Your local web developer will charge you at least $1000 for just a website but if you follow these steps, you can get your business online for about $150 or less.
3 RESOURCES NEEDED TO BUILD A QUALITY WEBSITE ON A BUDGET
1 – NAMEHERO: NameHero is a web hosting provider that offers great products at affordable prices. You can get started with them for less than $5 dollars per month without sacrificing quality. Here’s why they are the best value for your money.
- • Cloud hosting for maximum speed & uptime.
- • Fastest Web Server with LiteSpeed
- • Free Domain Registration
- • Free Railgun with Cloudflare
- • Free SSL certificate for security
- • Excellent 24/7 customer service
You could save a buck by going with a cheaper web host but the trade-offs in performance and features are not worth it. NameHero has the best package for the price.
2 – FIVERR: Fiverr is an online marketplace of professional services (gigs) offered by freelancers from around the world. The international nature of this site makes it a great resource to find gigs at rock bottom prices – with web design being one of their best bargains.
- • Super cheap web design prices
- • Sellers frequently offer free premium themes
- • Designed by professional freelancers and agencies
- • Multiple revisions available
- • Seller doesn’t get paid until you are satisfied
- • Websites built for $100 and under
You’ll be hard pressed to find professional web design services at lower costs than Fiverr. Throw in a free premium theme ($50 value) and you’re really only paying roughly $50 for their work.
3 – WORDPRESS.ORG: WordPress is the most popular platform to build a website – it is open-source and free to use. But the reason it is suitable for this build is the intuitive admin dashboard. Making simple edits is easy with no coding knowledge required.
- • Tens of thousands of free plugins to add functionality to your website
- • Tons of free and premium themes
- • Easy to edit content without HTML
WordPress can be installed directly from the web host’s control panel so there’s nothing to download separately. Let’s begin by registering your free website name first.
STEP 1 – GET HOSTING AND A DOMAIN NAME
Before getting into the design, you need a domain name and hosting for your website. Start by opening your web browser and going to NameHero.
1 – GO TO NAMEHERO AND GET HOSTING
- • From the top navigation bar, select Web Hosting to see all the plans available.
- • The Starter Cloud is adequate for most new websites so that’s what we’re going with.
- • Hover over Order Now and select your term. The longer the term, the cheaper it is so choose what works within your budget.
2 – REGISTER A FREE DOMAIN NAME
- • Choose the website name you want for your business.
- • Choose .com as the extension because it is the most widely used.
- • Check to see if your desired domain name is available.
- TIP: Adding the state abbreviation at the end of the domain can help you find one faster (www.exampleny.com) – useful for local businesses.
- • On the next page you can skip these options. Automatic nightly backup is already included with your plan and a dedicated IP isn’t necessary now.
- • On the next page you may want to include ID Protection to deter spam mails. All these options aren’t required and you can always add them later if you want.
3 – LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
- • Complete the registration, save your login information and check out.
- • Check your email (sometimes spam folder) for verification and activation.
- • Login to your account and you’re half-way done.
STEP 2 – INSTALL WORDPRESS
The only thing left to do on your part is to install WordPress – this step is easy. It should be completed in less than 5 mintues done directly from your NameHero’s control panel (cPanel).
1 – GO TO CONTROL PANEL (CPANEL) AND INSTALL WORDPRESS
- • Navigate to cPanel by going to example.com/cpanel from your browser (replace “example” with your actual registered domain name.
- cPanel can also be accessed from NameHero’s client area but using example.com/cpanel is a shortcut.
- • Search and click WordPress in the Softaculous Apps Installer section.
- • Click Install Now.
2 – ADJUST SITE DETAILS AND INSTALL
- • Choose the newest version of WordPress to install.
- • Choose installation URL with secure SSL certificate https:// or https://www.
- http:// and https://www are non-secure options so don’t choose those.
Site Settings (optional)
- • Input a Site Name. This could be your business name.
- • Input a Site Description. This would be a short statement about your business.
- • Enabling Multisite is for sub-domains. No need to enable this.
- All these options can be changed later so no need to dwell on this now.
- • Choose your admin username. This is the username when you log into WordPress.
- • Choose your admin password. This is the password for logging into WordPress.
- • Admin email can be left as default. It should read [email protected] This email is just for administrative purposes. Your personal or business emails can be created later.
- • Choose your language and the rest can be left as default.
- • Don’t worry about installing any plugins now. All plugins can be easily installed from your WordPress admin dashboard.
- • There’s no need to install any free themes now. Themes can be easily installed from your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Additionally, we’ll be looking for Fiverr web designers who offer free premium themes to choose from.
- • Click Install and your job is done.
STEP 3 – HIRE A WEB PRO TO DESIGN YOUR WEBSITE
So far you’ve registered your business domain name, got web hosting, and installed WordPress. The final step is to find a good web designer so go ahead and navigate to Fiverr.
1 – GO TO FIVERR AND SEARCH FIND A WEB DESIGNER
- • Search for Website Design WordPress.
- • From the left sidebar, filter by Budget with max price at $100 to see your options.
2 – FEATURES TO LOOK FOR IN A GIG
- • Most sellers offer services in 3 tiers – Basic, Standard, and Premium. The basic package should include at least 3 – 5 web pages designed.
- • Look for a seller offering free premium themes as described in their About This Gig section. You can also get your own free or premium theme and have the seller design it.
- • Don’t choose a seller based on the number of plugins installed. You can easily install plugins yourself with one click. If you need e-commerce functionalities, you can also install the woo-commerce plugin yourself.
- • Recap: Find a seller offering 3 – 5 pages designed with a free premium theme for $50. If you have to pay $100 for these requirements it’s probably because they are charging more for a premium theme.
- Remember that you also have the option to use a free theme or buy your own premium theme for them to customize. You can find many free and premium themes at myThemeShop.
2 – CONTACT SELLER AND INQUIRE
- • It’s always a good idea to contact the seller first to discuss your project.
- • If you have any custom requirements, ask for a custom offer. They are flexible so the prices shouldn’t fluctuate too much.
- • Tell them that you want the final product uploaded to cPanel.
- • After they agree to your requirements, go ahead and buy the gig. Have your WordPress login information ready for the seller.
- • Once your website design is finished, provide the seller with NameHero’s login information so they can upload your new site.
OPTIONAL STEP – SETUP YOUR EMAIL
This step isn’t required now – you can wait until your website is up and running. When you’re ready to make one, email accounts can be created from cPanel and the process is very simple. Access your cPanel by going to example.com/cpanel
1 – GO TO CPANEL AND FIND THE EMAIL ACCOUNTS ICON
2 – CLICK THE +CREATE BUTTON
3 – CREATE AN EMAIL ACCOUNT
- • Enter a username and password for your new email account.
- • Default storage space is 1gb but you can increase it if you wish.
- • Click Create.
- • Your email can be accessed by going to webmail.example.com from any browser URL bar.
Now just sit back and wait until your new website is done. Be sure to request design revisions if needed before finalizing the work. By using these resources, you should have been able to launch a professional website for about $150 or less.